The countdown begins for the extended late-filing self-assessment tax deadline.
Normally, late filing penalties are applied to all returns due on but filed after the 31 January deadline. However, this year, like last year, HMRC is not charging late filing penalties for a month to help taxpayers and agents who are unable to meet the deadline. Late filing penalties will not be charged for online tax returns received by 28 February 2022.
- 31 January – Self Assessment deadline (filing and payment)
- 1 February – interest accrues on any outstanding tax bills
- 28 February – last date to file any late online tax returns to avoid a late filing penalty
- 1 April – last date to pay any outstanding tax or make a Time to Pay arrangement, to avoid a late payment penalty
- 1 April – last date to set up a self-serve Time to Pay arrangement online
To find out more about HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) waiving late filing and late payment penalties for Self-Assessment taxpayers for one month, head to our previous blog.