We have an exciting new opportunity for a skilled and experienced Product Manager, that understands what a high performing team is, to work with a well established Development Team, delivering the WOW factor to our customers.
Who are we?
The HBP Group is the number one choice for many businesses across the UK looking for reliable, award-winning business technology. Providing a range of services including local IT Support, Accounts software and EPOS solutions. We offer our customers a range of the best market-leading products and services to streamline complex business processes and increase efficiency. We have 3 offices including our head office in Scunthorpe, an office in Hull and another office in Peterborough.
As a senior member of the Development team, you will lead and support a team of dynamic developers and QA testers, to change the relationship organisations have with technology. Providing your team with the environment and tools to exceed targets and deliver growth.
Accountable for the overall delivery of world class code development. The role is instrumental in aligning the delivery of software with the strategic direction of the product roadmap and the operational demand of the Professional Services and Customer Experience Teams, to ensure the products are both commercially successful to grow and maintain.
Ownership of roadmap delivery for VisiSoft, directly responsible for the planning & release management of the Visi Roadmap. This is in addition to the continued contribution and involvement in the roadmap strategy and scoping, particularly representing the development team in these conversations whilst balancing the commercial and operational considerations.
This is a Full-time / Permanent role – based in Peterborough / Remote working.
Within this role, some of the key areas you will be responsible for are:
1. Team Management:
- Inspiring, leading, supervising, coaching of the Development and QA team. Showcasing a proven ability to deliver exceptional customer service at all times through your management style. Managing and supporting a team of 6: 5 software developers and 1 QA tester. You will lead the build of all back and front-end components ensuring best practice is being followed within the team at all times.
- Adopt the Best Companies MC3 model standard, focusing on 4 main elements that directly impact the engagement levels of the team (Motivating, Considering, Conversing and Caring). You will deliver not only KPI’s specific to the team, but as we strive to change the relationship organisations have with technology, you will be committed to working with each member of the team, to find a perfect blend between the desires of the individual and the requirements of the business. Assigning tasks, setting goals, and monitoring team members’ performance (including pipeline, CRM and proposal reviews). You will provide regular one to ones /feedback and hold effective team meetings, to ensure high-quality performance is sustained. Providing the team with the tools and tactical guidance to deliver roles and accountabilities.
- Foster a positive and collaborative work environment that promotes teamwork, knowledge sharing, and professional growth. You will mentor the team, championing further development of skills, including helping to train and develop more junior members of the team.
- Play a leading role in ensuring implementations follow agreed architectural standards. You will lead the team in planning and estimating sessions, as well as Product life cycle management. Working closely with your team to ensure code is delivering the required functionality in accordance with agreed standards, with regular code reviews.
- Ensure code delivered is of high standard by working closely with, and continually improving the QA process. Performing regular retrospectives to identify and solve inefficiencies in the process.
- Promote our values and act as a sounding board and facilitator, encouraging problem-solving and creative thinking to capitalise on opportunities.
- Be committed to creating exceptional customer experiences by utilising industry-leading solutions and processes.
- Own the Development team and QA team internal documentation ensuring it is maintained and updated. Ensuring code delivered is of high standard by working closely with, and continually improving the QA process.
- Commit to active involvement in the wider Group management team and contribute to the success of the business and our overall strategy by feeding back ideas and opportunities raised by the team and ensuring commercial considerations are incorporated during technical and operational decision making.
2. Strategic Vision Delivery
- In addition to the day to day management of the development & QA team this role is pivotal for the delivery of the overarching team strategy. Whilst being a collaborative process with Directors in the business, the role has direct input in the development of the strategy, deciding on the priorities and objectives the team are going to deliver and any strategic change to processes or procedures that will enhance the impact of the department.
- The role is then accountable for the deployment of that strategy and any associated change management required.
- Working closely with cross-functional teams to creating an exceptional customer experience.
- Proactively seek feedback from team members and stakeholders to identify areas of improvement.
- Stay updated with industry trends and emerging technologies to drive continued development of processes and technology. Provide commercial guidance in positioning our solutions and services.
3. Resource Management
- Allocate and manage resources effectively to meet project demands and deadlines.
- Identify resource gaps and work with the People Team to recruit and onboard new team members.
- Conduct capacity planning to ensure the team is appropriately staffed.
- Coordinate with other teams and departments to leverage resources and expertise as needed.
- Track and manage budgets, ensuring optimal resource utilisation and cost control.
4. KPI Management
- Generate regular reports on team performance and key metrics.
- Analyse data to identify trends, issues, and areas for improvement.
- Present reports and analysis to senior management and stakeholders.
- Use data-driven insights to make informed decisions and drive efficiency.
Essential key skills and experience:
- Demonstratable experience in working successfully within or alongside a development team.
- A great understanding of the fundamentals of the development process.
- At least 5 years’ experience working within your area of expertise (likely to be .NET environment or familiarity)
- Knowledge of Best practice release and change management frameworks and procedures.
- Experience in Version control systems (Git).
- Understanding and appreciation of technology and how it can be used.
- Knowledge of agile development practises.
- A sound commercial understanding and ability to discuss and present to senior decision makers within a business.
- Passionate about driving growth and helping others succeed.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Excellent leadership and coaching skills.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and prioritise tasks in a fast-paced environment.
Ready to lead the charge? Your journey in shaping the future of our business development begins now.
We are looking for a People Manager (with demonstrable experience):
- Who is motivated by building relationships with colleagues, coaching employees to reach their full potential and aligning goals toward a common objective.
- Who has a can-do attitude, that sets high standards of excellence, but outlines how their team can get there and give them the tools and support to do so.
- Who can have tough conversations. Management isn’t always easy, and sometimes you have to engage in difficult conversations with employees. We believe in open and honest two way conversations and expect you not to shy away from this; instead, view it as a learning opportunity for both parties.
- Who is open to receiving feedback.
- Someone who exudes confidence and relishes challenge.
- Who possesses an ability to problem-solve and make decisions – part of the role will be spotting and solving problems on a daily basis. This requires outstanding attention to detail and the ability to remain calm under pressure. To ensure that your team is productive, and that workflow runs smoothly, you’ll have to think on your feet when problems arise. Creative thinking will help you to come up with innovative solutions that minimise the impact on your team and the business as a whole.
- Who is a great communicator – You’ll liaise with a variety of people, from entry-level employees to senior management, in a number of different ways – via email, over the phone and in presentations, meetings and one-to-ones. Effective communication is key ensuring it is clear, concise, concrete, correct, coherent, complete, courteous.
- Who shows high emotional intelligence – we believe our managers need emotional intelligence to be effective. This means having the self-awareness, self-control, motivation, empathy, and social skills needed to behave in a mature, wise, empathetic way with the people around you.
Why work for us?
Here at the HBP Group we are passionate about our business and our customers, and believe our people are our most valuable asset. Driven by our commitment to creating a great place to work for all our staff, we are always looking for ways to improve our employee experience.
Accredited to The Living Wage Foundation, we are a Real Living Wage Employer and this year we were awarded Best Companies “One To Watch” accreditation. However, we’re not going to stop there and are focused on achieving 3 Star “World Class employer to work for” accreditation in the future.
That’s why it’s a great time to join The HBP Group… As we continue our successful journey with exciting and achievable growth plans, we want to focus not only on our overall commercial objectives but creating a great working environment for our staff to thrive.
On top of the normal benefits, we think some of the amazing reasons to join us are:
- Hybrid working arrangements*
- 28 days of holiday, plus bank holidays = 36 days holiday total!
- Option to sell back holiday*
- Salary Sacrifice Pension Scheme*
- A pro-active team of staff who organise regular social events and sporting activities – This includes a Mid-Year and Year End Appreciation Party, examples of social activities for 2023 include Paintballing, a family day out at an attraction park, and beer Fridays. We also have a number of themed office days including for St Patricks day, Pancake day, Wear it Pink, and Halloween
- A friendly inclusive environment across the whole office – we really are a great bunch!
- Charity activities to raise money for staff-selected causes – events include bi-annual 3 Peaks challenge and our annual Game a Thon.
- Enhanced Maternity Pay*
- Enhanced Paternity Pay*
- Enhanced Bereavement Leave, with our “Time to say goodbye leave”
- Free lunches
- Casual business dress code (with option to choose from our free workwear wardrobe selection)
- Christmas Thank You Bonus*
- Support and guidance from your very first day!
- Tailored Training Plans to support success in your role.
- Personal Development Plans to support career advancement.
- On-site parking
- Company Sick Pay*
- Wellness activities
* Length of service eligibility criteria.
If you think you fit the description above and you like the sound of what we have to offer…then this could be a great opportunity for you to join a growing, well-established business and progress your career.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent – based in Peterborough.
Salary: £40,000 – £50,000 per year, depending on experience.
Closing Date: 30.03.2024
We reserve the right depending on application numbers to close or extend the closing dates for positions; we would therefore recommend an early application.
Due to the high number of applications, we thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply, please send an up-to-date CV and covering letter to our People Team via email.
Apply via Email >