In this video, Anthony from The HBP Group explains how to fix a corrupt spreadsheet in Microsoft Excel. If you prefer to find out how to do this with written instructions, we have included these further down the page.
Stage 1: Repairing A Corrupt Spreadsheet
A corrupt Excel spreadsheet may contain unreadable data or could be completely blank. This guide explains how you can repair a corrupt file in Excel.
1) Start by opening an Excel and then go to “File” in the top left corner and click on “Open” from the left hand menu.
2) Next, click “Browse” and navigate to the file you wish to fix and then click the drop down arrow next to “Open” and select “Open and Repair…”
3) A new box will open and in the first instance you should select “Repair”. If this process works then your repair of a corrupt Excel file is complete.
Stage 2: Extracting Data From A Corrupt Spreadsheet
1) If the repair option does not work then repeat steps 1 and 2 from Stage 1 but this time click on “Extract Data”.
2) Following this you are presented with two options; “Convert To Values” or “Recover Formulas”. Choosing which is best for you will depend on your spreadsheet and how many formulas you have used within it.
3) Once you have made your choice a new spreadsheet will be created with your extracted data.
Request an IT Support Quote for your business
Fed up with the service from your current IT partner? Does your business deserve better? As well as creating helpful content like this for our customers we also provide a wide range of IT support, IT installations and Managed Services for businesses.